Friday, April 13, 2012

Can't I Just Post Pictures Like Last Week?


1. This is the last day of Spring Break and I will be so grateful to see the school buses come for my children on Monday. Not the least of which my husband and I just had that discussion again about why the living room has been a complete wreck all week (and I admit I have done little to fix it, probably because we spend so much of the day living in it and cleaning it while the children are home can be an exercise of futility). But I was reminded of this little story that's been floating around the web forever:

A man came home from work and found his three children outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn all around the front yard. The door of his wife's car was open, as was the front door to the house and there was no sign of the dog. Proceeding into the entry, he found an even bigger mess. A lamp had been knocked over, and the throw rug was wadded against one wall. In the front room the TV was loudly blaring a Cartoon channel, and the family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing. In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the counter, the fridge door was open wide, dog food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door. He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried she might be ill, or that something serious had happened. He was met with a small trickle of water as it made its way out the bathroom door. As he peered inside he found wet towels, scummy soap and more toys strewn over the floor. Miles of toilet paper lay in a heap and toothpaste had been smeared over the mirror and walls. As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife still curled up in the bed in her pajamas, reading a novel. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, 'What happened here today?' She again smiled and answered, 'You know every day when you come home from work and you ask me what in the world do I do all day?' 'Yes,' was his incredulous reply. She answered, 'Well, today I didn't do it."


So, I probably could have been better motivated to keep the house cleaner, but all day every day with my kids with a husband working the late schedule, I'm going to give the verdict of "good enough" and move on.

2. So I was back at PT yesterday after 10 days away and the news was not good. The healing process seems to have stopped or started sliding backwards because I haven't been doing my exercises at home. I thought simply going on about my regular life would be enough; I was wrong. So I'm seriously not happy and have no one to blame but myself. Grump, grump, grump....

3. I recently decided that the big bucket of ivy growing in my front flower bed needed to go. We planted it years ago when we needed something to fill the space but ivy is just not very interesting, so on Saturday, I pulled it all out (with Miranda's assistance). Wednesday, I dragged the kids to Home Depot with me after we played at the park and I picked begonias, Alex picked marigolds, and Miranda picked pansies. Here they are:


I also planted more dianthus in my flower bed out back and picked up a few more pots of tulips to add to the front yard, in between the hostas. Next on my list: miraclegro the shrubs, borrow my husband's drill to put in the tree spikes, and then beef up the mulch. I should probably thin the hostas, again, but it's so annoying. Unless, of course, anyone needs a few hosta plants? Anyone, anyone?

4. I would really like to go to the movies tonight. I was supposed to go last week but was too tired; that will likely be true tonight as well, but I can dream, can't I? 21 Jump Street, Lockout, Mirror Mirror, Cabin in the Woods (even though I'm not a fan or horror, but it's Joss Whedon!), or Wrath of the Titans. Dang. Any bored babysitters out there? That drive and read my blog? Not likely.

5. Later this morning I have to drag the kids along with me to finish a list of errands: Alex needs new shoes from Olly, then we need to go to Barnes & Noble to pick out a birthday present for his friend, and then to Staples because we're almost out of paper (and other things). It's pretty rare for me to take them 3 places in a row; I expect bribery will be required to ensure good behavior, at least on Miranda's part.

6. So it's Sahara Sam's week. Alex and I are going tomorrow afternoon for a birthday party and then on Thursday night, Miranda's school is having a fundraising night there so I've bought 4 tickets to attend. I'm taking the kids and either my mother or my husband is going to come with me, I hope. Someone has to come with me. I'm not wasting that 4th ticket.

7. Poor Jen at Conversion Diary has a new scorpion story. Yet another reason to be glad I don't live in Texas. 

No comments: