Friday, July 1, 2011

God is Wild About You!


1. So we just finished 5 mornings at church, participating in Hope's VBS for the first time, and the program this year was Pandamania. And it was awesome! If you are friends with me on FB, you can look at a bunch of pictures my kind friends took of my darling children, since I never managed to walk in the building with my camera.

Seriously, though, my heart is overflowing with gratitude. Miranda really thrived in the environment, as we expected her to, as she is fairly easy to keep in line with a structured schedule of games, snack, crafts and learning activities. Alex was more of a challenge, as expected, but he had a wonderful buddy who helped to keep him on track and two teenage boys who were more than willing to corral him during the large group sessions when he'd rather be running in circles around the room.

The high points for me were seeing both of them standing on the steps in the front of the sanctuary, dancing and praising God, and hearing Alex talk about God listening to him and staying with him. Miranda has been absorbing the curriculum of her Sunday school class all year so it's not surprising to hear her say that God loves her or that God made the world. But Alex's brain is wired to see the world very literally and so a metaphysical concept, like Jesus loving him when Jesus is not someone he can physically touch, is a lot harder for him to grasp. Still, this kind of immersive experience was a great way to bring him to the next step of talking about God as well as help him work on those pesky social skills! God has certainly been very good to us this week at VBS!

2. Yes, we are still fighting the bed bugs in Miranda's room, although we are cutting their numbers down daily. Marshall poisoned her bed frame several days ago (see below), which killed at least 50, so was helpful, if gross. Yes, he still hovers over her with a flashlight after she falls asleep to kill some more (awesome Dad that he is since I can only face them in daylight) but I feel like we are going to beat them, eventually. But the laundry still continues....

3. 3 of the 5 mornings this week I was able to hang out at the church while both kids were learning about God's good gifts, and how He always loves us, no matter what. It was a wonderfully and unexpected peaceful time for me and I used it wisely, writing lots of post cards to the young women I mentor in the Youth Group. At least, for this week, they are getting more from me than my usual stream-of-consciousness writing about how my kids are driving me crazy and O, Lord, Have Mercy On Me! And it felt very satisfying to use this time to minister to others like this.

4. Stitching progress was slow this week due to general exhaustion, but I still made it to the bottom of the pattern last night. See:


I have about 5 weeks to finish it. But once I finish the stems, the changing colors every 15 stitches pain will stop and it will go faster. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

5. I did a movie update a few days ago but had difficulties with the links. I still need to go back and fix that. I am planning to see Transformers: Dark of the Moon, by myself, either tomorrow night or Sunday. I'd go tonight if I thought I could stay awake that long. Alex was up late last night and Miranda was up early, and we had an exciting afternoon what with my mother's return, dropping off her rental car, and a trip to the doctor's for Alex, so I'm tired.

6. My mother has returned safely from her retreat in VA and is spending the next week with us. Thank you, God!

7. My mother's book, Bathsheba's Lament, continues to earn praises and recognition from among a growing number of readers. There is a great review of it on the International Christian Fiction Writers' blog that you must read! There is another awesome review of Bathsheba's Lament on LeAnne Hardy's blog. Read it here. Remember, if you haven't already ordered a copy, you will find it available here, or, if you are a local fan, you can purchase my last remaining copy of the book.

If you've read the book and enjoyed it, won't you please consider writing a review on Amazon for her? Click here.



And here's Jen.

No comments: