Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Addendum

Whenever we make great strides against the bug infestation, I rejoice and remark upon our victory. My husband, ever the realist, qualifies each step with a reminder about what still remains to be done in our battle. For example, he sprayed the bed frame with bug killer this morning and this afternoon I vacuumed up several dozen corpses. I told him how much I was encouraged by this and he reminded me that we will need to do this again in 2 weeks' time.

Then I reminded him of one of my favorite quotes from Buffy:


"Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Lie to Me (#2.7)" (1997)
[last lines]
Buffy: Does it ever get easy?
Giles: You mean life?
Buffy: Yeah, does it get easy?
Giles: What do you want me to say?
Buffy: Lie to me.
Giles: Yes. It's terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true. The bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies and... everybody lives happily ever after.
Buffy: Liar.

No comments: