Saturday, February 1, 2014

Too Many Squirrels


1. If you've had to ask me multiple times this week to do anything and I've forgotten, I apologize. I'm transitioning to a new anti-depressant and the result seems to be a perpetually foggy brain. Perhaps this is God's way of introducing me to what it feels like to have ADD. I'll have a thought and start to follow it when I blink and it's gone. Very frustrating.

2. I miss tennis. But, on a happier note, the Winter Olympics start on Thursday.

3. I did manage to get to the movies this week. My father and I went to see Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit and it was much better than it's 59% rating on Rotten Tomatoes indicates. Maybe some film reviewers just don't think economic threats are sexy enough to rate a decent grade. Whatever. Chris Pine was excellent as usual and Kevin Costner and Kenneth Branagh were equally good. Jack Ryan was my hero when I was in middle school (which is why I HATED the film adaptation of Patriot Games) and I think this adaptation to a post-911 Jack was a good one. I hope they make more.

4. Valentine's Day is only 2 weeks away and I haven't decided what to do about cards for the kids. Usually we print our own but I might just buy them at the drug store this year.

5. My new favorite author is Kristan Higgins. I continue to work my way through the list of the top ten romances of 2013 and then read everything else the author has ever written (thanks to my local library, of course) and this week it was 3 novels by Higgins. Her writing is delightful and charming and usually concerns the heroine's family just as much as her romance.

I also started Game Change: Double Down but am finding it a lot more boring than the previous book, probably because it describes in detail all the ways the early Obama presidency screwed up. Goodreads continues to be a handy application to keep track of what I've already read and books that sound good and I want to remember to read in the future. Of course, it also reminds me of all the series I've started and not yet returned to finish. Squirrels, I tell you.

6. Some of the weather forecasts for the upcoming week have snow falling on both Monday and Saturday. Alex and I think we've had enough already and Miranda can't wait to build another snow fort.

7. Tomorrow I will be spending the whole afternoon at church with the Youth Group because it's our annual Super Pre-Game Party where we transform the sanctuary into an awesome, inflatable-filled playground, eat lots of great food, and then clean it all up again. It's the one thing that makes the day tolerable for me, besides all the new cool movie trailers.

Bonus 8. I filed our taxes this afternoon, thanks to TurboTax. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to do it with such a fuzzy brain but our deductions are not very exciting so I don't expect any trouble. Of course, it was an interesting exercise to tally up how much we spent on health care in 2012, and when I say interesting I mean terrifying. Yikes!

Here's Jen.

No comments: