Friday, March 18, 2011

Second Friday of Lent


1. It was a week of extreme highs and lows. Alex started his swimming lessons last Saturday and did really well. Then, on Sunday, we had something really resembling a Sabbath. Miranda and Daddy took a nap:




Alex and I took a lovely walk in the spring sunshine. Then Monday came and Alex seemed to be in a terrible mood for 3 days and nothing we did could shake it or explain it. He tore up his worksheets at school and refused to cooperate with his teacher. He was so frustrated one evening he broke his rechargeable flashlight, one of his most prized bedtime possessions since it allows him to read until he falls asleep each night after we turn out the overhead light. Marshall would spend an hour every night talking him down from these extreme rages so that he could go to sleep. And then, Thursday was perfect. He did all his work at school and came home happy. He, Miranda and I took a walk around the neighborhood where everyone was happy and well-behaved. He ate dinner without complaint and then played in the backyard with Miranda without conflict. And went to bed happy.

As thankful as I am to have my happy boy back, the thing I hate most about autism is how difficult it is for Alex to communicate. It is very rare for him to be able to explain why he's angry or if he's sick and I only know he's hungry when he heads for the string cheese and that he needs to use the toilet when he starts dancing from foot to foot. I think it's called a processing error in the brain, but it's no fun to live with.

2. Miranda had a pretty charmed week. The best week at school we can remember, a surprise play-date with her cousin Lilly on Tuesday, sleeping through the night about every other day (she wakes me up because she's hungry, no matter how much she had to eat before bed) and so earned the privilege of helping me make her favorite banana chocolate chip muffins (in the oven right now!) and a proposed trip to the toy store for a reward doll. However, 5 minutes ago she dumped her milk cup (I gave up on sippy cups a few months back) on the newest laptop and had a coughing fit in the midst of her tears when I took away said laptop, so I might be getting the nebulizer out of the closet this afternoon. Dang.

3. I finished page 11 of White Lilies on Red and it's really looking beautiful:


I am thankful to be working on the last of the petals. Stitching in a flurry of light pinks on cream colored fabric is hard on the eyes.

My favorite DMC color, previous to this project, was 550, a deep, royal purple that I used extensively in Christmas Flourishes by Mirabilia. Now, my favorite is 920, a rich coppery brown.Very pretty.

4. Anything that takes Miranda away from Jake & the Neverland Pirates is okay in my book (the theme song plays interminably in my head--way too catchy a tune for my peace of mind!) but what she's discovered (and I'm not sure how) is Boowa and Kwala, which, as far as I can tell, is a French import into Australia. Kwala is obviously a koala but I have yet to figure out what kind of animal Boowa is: he's blue and kinda dog-like. The site is not offensive in the least and fairly educational, but a little strange to encounter. But in a good way.

5. A dear friend from school lives in Yamagata, Japan, 80 miles from the epicenter of last week's earthquake, so we have been watching his Facebook page very closely all week and praying for his family often. They are all safe, as well as his wife's extended family, some of whom lived in Sendai (Thanks be to God!), but are currently having to cope with rationed fuel and food amounts. Still, so much to be thankful for in the face of this catastrophe. Thank you, Lord, for your mercy.

6. I watched Easy A this week when I needed a laugh and enjoyed it greatly. It's about a young woman in high school who lies about her sexual experience and sees her reputation transformed almost instantly. Emma Stone, who has been cast as Gwen Stacy in the new Spider-Man reboot, is amazing, as advertised, but it's also interesting as a modern take on The Scarlet Letter. For as many stupid high school movies get made every year, this one is worth watching. Not quite as good as 10 Things I Hate About You, because Nathaniel Hawthorne with never top Shakespeare, but I liked it. 

7. My mother's book, Bathsheba's Lament, continues to earn praises and recognition from among a growing number of readers. There is a great review of it on the International Christian Fiction Writers' blog that you must read! There is another awesome review of Bathsheba's Lament on LeAnne Hardy's blog. Read it here. Remember, if you haven't already ordered a copy, you will find it available here, or, if you are a local fan, inform me that you are claiming one of my few remaining copies.

And here's Jen

No comments: