Friday, February 18, 2011

Oh, God. I'm going to die.

1. That was the first thought in my mind every time I had to get out of bed since about midnight, last Sunday morning. This has been one of those weeks that I hope disappears quickly from my memory in a haze of grogginess.

2. If you missed all the excitement last weekend, Miranda contracted croup overnight Saturday-Sunday and when I finally had enough wits to page the pediatrician Sunday morning, he sent us straight to the ER. We quickly made arrangements for Alex to be cared for after dropping him at church for Sunday school (so handy that the hospital is 2 blocks from our church) and followed Miranda through an exam, chest x-rays, several breathing treatments and oral steroids. She was much more herself by the time we left the hospital 4 hours later with a nebulizer and more steroids in hand. Marshall and I were still pretty dazed, although that could have been shock or lack of sleep or both. Neither of our children have ever suffered from anything like this before so it took us a bit to come up to speed on all current treatments, but we learn fast. And I can say with gratitude that we received excellent care the whole time we were in the hospital. My only previous hospital experience is in the maternity ward, so it's good to know Virtua-Voorhees' pediatric ER is so reliable.

3. Because I was so desperate for sleep, I sent Miranda back to school Wednesday morning even though she wasn't quite her usual self. She'd already missed the Valentine's Day party and the trip to the Book Fair, but I wanted to give her a chance to catch up with her friends, distribute her Valentines (she worked really hard on Saturday writing the names of her friends and teachers on the cards and I wanted Miss Barbara to see what a great job she did) and pick up her new books. And I really, really, needed a nap.

4. I think I survived Wednesday on the promise that my cleaning lady was coming at 3 pm and no matter what happened, the house would be clean by dinner time and life would be better because of that. I had been so exhausted from Miranda's sudden illness and all the excitement thereof that I hadn't been keeping up with the disaster we create daily by living and moving through this house and the floors were starting to look scary. Bless her; she's really wonderful.

5. It was a good thing Wednesday ended well because Miranda woke up Thursday morning with a fever. The steroids had done their job well but also suppressed her immune system and, after a trip back to the pediatrician's (we'd been already on Monday for a follow up from our hospital trip Sunday) we now have a diagnosis of an ear infection and a new set of antibiotics to consume. My poor little woozle. God, I'm tired.

6. Somehow, I have managed to keep stitching in the evenings, probably because it's such a nice, safe distraction from how distressing life has been this week. Here's your progress pic:

While I've stitched, we've been watching the first season of Mission:Impossible. It's amazingly suspenseful. 

7. My mother's book, Bathsheba's Lament, continues to earn praises and recognition from among a growing number of readers. There is a great review of it on the International Christian Fiction Writers' blog that you must read! There is another awesome review of Bathsheba's Lament on LeAnne Hardy's blog. Read it here. Remember, if you haven't already ordered a copy, you will find it available here, or, if you are a local fan, inform me that you are claiming one of my few remaining copies.

Bonus 8. Okay, the week wasn't all bad. Alex's behavior finally improved at school (probably because the snow is almost completely melted and the weather is warmer and pleasant) so he earned a new book and permission to go on the class field trip on Tuesday. Marshall is settling in better at work since the most recent reorganization. My father's recovery from his knee replacement almost 3 weeks ago is going really well with his progress well above expectations. The team my church sent to Haiti returned safely last night after a great week. And Miranda is chipper and hungry this morning after waking up at 3:30 am hot and miserable. So, life should be better soon.

And here's Jen.

No comments: