Monday, August 22, 2011
Update from San Diego
A few updates from vacation in place of my usual Friday list:
1. Cross stitch was turned over to Stephanie, as planned. I washed it and ironed it and Jonathan packed it in between towels and cardboard to take home to Thousand Oaks to be framed at their convenience.
2. As you can see from the photo above, we had a wonderfully full weekend of visiting with family. So much so, Alex and Miranda were decidedly low-key today. When Alex doesn't want to go swimming, you know he's tired.
3. For my birthday, Marshall took me to see my favorite play, Much Ado About Nothing, at The Old Globe here in San Diego at Balboa Park. It was awesome. It wasn't a perfect production, but Benedick was amazing and I loved the staging and music. What a birthday gift! And we're going to see The Tempest on Wednesday night. Never pass up an opportunity to see Shakespeare.
4. Tomorrow morning Marshall and I leave for 3 days away from everyone else. We're going to take the time to catch up on Doctor Who, Series 6.
5. My cousin Aaron introduced me to a wonderful new book series in a genre I wouldn't usually read, but the protagonist is so compelling, I didn't mind all the vampires and werewolves. Moon Called, Blood Bound, Iron Kissed, and Bone Crossed. I am now looking for books 5 and 6, Silver Borne and River Marked. Ignore the covers; they are as bad as some romance novels. Good writing is worth reading.
6. The children did not adapt to the Western Time Zone as quickly as we had hoped, but we are all 4 of sleeping in one large room, so some disturbances are understandable. The good thing is, there are lots of adults to trade off shifts with, so it isn't always just me at 6 or 7 am.
7. We did see Harry on Saturday and enjoyed it. We hope to see Cowboys and Aliens next Saturday. And I'm wondering about Fright Night. It might be fun to see David Tennant as a vampire slayer.
I think that's all. I may try to update again on Saturday.
If you missed it, Jen was really funny last Friday.