Friday, August 26, 2011

Is it Really Friday Again?


1. My dear husband and I left my aunt's house Tuesday at about 11 am and returned last night about 8 pm, spending 2 nights at a B&B called The Keating House near downtown San Diego. It was lovely to be away from our children for almost 3 full days, although Alex got his revenge by getting up for the day at 2:30 this morning. Which explains why I'm still rather wifty and only writing this blog post at 5 pm local time. And missed out on the trip to the beach this morning, because I went back to bed at 7 am, after sharing shifts with Marshall in the wee small hours of the morning. God bless grandparents and aunts and cousins who love my children. They are the reason we have a real vacation.

2. While we were away, the children had a great time at the zoo, the beach and Grandma Helen's pool. Oldest philosophy in the book: keep the children active and they won't have time to whine that Momma is not here.

If you want to see some of the fun we've been having, here are the pictures. There are extensive pictures of the B&B and its plants for those who are interested. The other pictures show the family together, having a good time.

3. If you haven't heard (HA!), there's a hurricane headed up the East coast. It's very strange to be seeing all the activity from a distance of 3,000 miles. I am very glad to be here and miss all the fuss. We don't usually experience flooding in our neighborhood, so we're really not concerned about our own place. And not sad to miss out on any power outages. Everything should be clear for flying home Tuesday. Should.

4. We saw Cowboys & Aliens yesterday and I think it deserved a much better review than Rotten Tomatoes gave it. I enjoyed it. James Bond and Han Solo fighting ugly aliens on horseback--what's not to like?

5. Marshall and I spent a lot of our time away at used bookstores and bought lots more books. So many we may have to ship a box home. I will tally up the titles and number of pages next week, like I did last summer.

6. We didn't get any Doctor Who watched at the B&B (had too much fun reading and seeing The Tempest), but we did watch Space Battleship Yamato with English subtitles. I enjoyed it, although I only have a passing acquaintance of Star Blazers. Marshall was a big fan, growing up.

7. My mother's book, Bathsheba's Lament, continues to earn praises and recognition from among a growing number of readers. There is a great review of it on the International Christian Fiction Writers' blog that you must read! There is another awesome review of Bathsheba's Lament on LeAnne Hardy's blog. Read it here. Remember, if you haven't already ordered a copy, you will find it available here, or, if you are a local fan, you can purchase my last remaining copy of the book.

If you've read the book and enjoyed it, won't you please consider writing a review on Amazon for her? Click here.



And here's Jen, who is very funny today. Don't miss it!

No comments: