Saturday, January 10, 2015

7 In Recovery Takes


1. Two blogs posts two weeks in a row. Must be a miracle. Or a New Year's Resolution. Or I'm just bored and avoiding all the folding I need to do with clean laundry. Or I won't let myself go hide in a book because all the chores aren't done yet (those overflowing laundry baskets). Or I'm waiting for my Gluten-Free Bisquik biscuits to come out of the oven and this is a good way to pass the time. Or even though the sun is shining, it's 23 degrees outside but feels like 10 (so says the internet) so the farthest I'm going today is the mailbox.

2. I have 17 unwatched episodes of Castle on my DVR and no desire to watch them. None. It just isn't fun anymore. I keep thinking I'll change my mind, which is why they are still there, but I haven't yet. I used to stay up late Monday nights to watch the show live, but I haven't done since season 3, I think. Sigh. 25 gigs on the server. We still have a terrabyte of free space so it's not like I have to make a decision today, but it's starting to bug me.

3. Alex is painting the bathroom with toothpaste, regularly. The toilet, the walls, the sink, and now the trash can. It's wasteful, yes, but really annoying and getting harder to clean up. Somehow, I'm not fulfilling his creative needs sufficiently.

Our kids have rotten impulse control (autism + AD/HD = disastrous impulse control, not to be confused with compulsions, like reciting Green Eggs and Ham for the 3 millionth time and I am not kidding about the 3,000.000!) Both of them, every couple of weeks, dump out all the shampoo or body soap into the tub while bathing to make bubbles or paint the shower walls or something. And I wonder where all the money goes. Miranda is flat broke at the moment because she had to contribute towards the last bottle of replacement shampoo. I want to be able to tell them "Go take a shower" and not have to watch them while they do it. And they smell too strongly to skimp on the soap. Irritating.

4. I'm making my way through Grace Burrowes' extensive backlist, reading them in series order, of course, like the good little compulsive reader that I am. But I am stuck halfway through Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish. A wee bit bored, I think. But since this is my tenth book by Burrowes and all the previous have been excellent, I guess she's allowed to write one that's only average in quality.

My favorite books for rereading, especially when I'm ill or tired or just plain grumpy are Jayne Castle's dusy bunny series or (same author) the Arcane Society series published under the names Jayne Ann Krentz and Amanda Quick.

Interjection: the biscuits are a little dry and flavorless. I'm going to add honey, though clotted cream would be better, but I don't have any of that. Man, I miss refrigerator biscuits.

5. I'm trying to set small goals for myself for getting back on top of household chores and such after being down for more than a week with the flu. I'm writing one thank you card per day and trying to clean up one area. Like this morning after the dishes got done I actually bleached the counters. And my honey helped to get the Christmas tree down and put away. Well, I helped him. Otherwise, it's just too overwhelming and it sends me straight back to my flannel sheets and the next library book on the stack.

6. The Australian Open starts in one week! I'm so excited! Tennis started back up this week so I've been checking the scores at least twice a day. If I had the tennis channel, I would probably never get anything done. Except cross stitch.

7. I need to review my 2014 list and post a final revision of all the movies I wanted to see but didn't. Last year was the best year for us; hopefully, 2015 will be better.

Here's Kelly.

No comments: