Friday, January 2, 2015

7 Flu Takes


1. New Month. New Year. New logo because we have a new host for Quick Takes. Jen Fulwiler is too busy with her book and her radio show, so she passed it off to Kelly at This Ain't The Lyceum. Should be an interesting transition.

2. Alex, Miranda and myself are starting the year with the flu. We started running fevers on Tuesday. Thankfully, this is not the I'm-going-to-die-for-two-whole-weeks-flu from last Feb-Mar. It's just a fever and fatigue. But you make strange decisions when you have the flu, like watching the first two seasons of Star Wars: The Clone Wars in 48 hours (that was Tuesday and Wednesday). I liked the first couple of seasons generally, but I think I'm done for a while.

3. I had made all kinds of play date plans for this week, of course. And then had to cancel all of them. Alex doesn't want to go back to school on Monday but Miranda will probably be thrilled to go just to see someone she isn't related to.

4. Gluten-free living with the flu means no Campbell's Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup and absolutely no Saltines. Very saddening. However, I can still eat rainbow sherbet and drink ginger ale, so all is not lost.

5. We had a lovely Christmas dinner with Marshall's parents, his sister and her family, and the Olson's with lots of food and wonderful company. We missed my parents, who celebrated with my brothers in L.A., but we thought of them often as we were using their house to celebrate in.

6. I haven't sent any thank you cards yet. I am usually the gal who, on Boxing Day, writes them up and mails them off right quick. I haven't even finished opening up Christmas cards from other people. Not to mention the Christmas letter. Marshall has said he's not writing it this year (he usually does 95% of the work) so I may do an abbreviated letter in the coming weeks to give us some kind of yearly reference.

7. I was introduced to the new game Trivia Crack but I need new friends to play with since I'm such a know-it-all and a good guesser so most people don't want to play with me. Finally, a game I can win!

Bonus 8: We took no Christmas pictures. We opened presents with the kids with my parents before they left for CA and then opened a few with Marshall's parents Christmas afternoon, but we didn't wrap much for the kids this year. Too much money just to clothe them, between his shredding all his shirts and socks and her growing out of everything yesterday.

Here's Kelly!

No comments: