Friday, December 17, 2010

One Week Before Christmas? Seriously?


1. I really should write these things on Thursdays, when I have all this free time, instead of Friday mornings, when I'm all in a rush. One of these days I will plan ahead, really. :)



2. Last weekend went really well, in spite of all our activity. Our fabulous babysitter was able to bring her equally fabulous fiance along, which thrilled both kids. When all their teachers, aides, child care workers, etc. are female, a cool and loving male who wants to spend time with them is simply awesome.

3. Brief movie update:
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader: It was good, but not fabulous. I recommend it, but it just doesn't have the same emotional impact of the first film. But, then, I suppose it is difficult to top the resurrection of Christ.
Knight and Day and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: I was in the mood for fluffy films earlier this week. I would echo Ebert's review of the first one; the second one I watched to see Shane West, who I've really been enjoying in Nikita.
Le Pact des Loups: I remember when it first came out, I had wanted to see it but was a little afraid of the gore-factor. Well, it is an excellent film that reminds me, once again, of my second favorite line from Buffy: "It's not about right; it's not about wrong. It's about power." Also, there were some plot similarities to The Ghost and the Darkness (which scared me terribly when I saw it in 1997; I would classify that film in the category of one of the scariest movies I've ever seen) but that may be simply because they are both "hunting the beast" type movies.
Tron: Legacy: While it has received middling reviews, we are still off to see it tonight in 3D.

4. It snowed only a very slight amount yesterday (quarter of an inch?), but it was enough to snarl up the roads all over the Delaware Valley for hours. My dear husband was stuck in his car for hours, inching along on roads laced with black ice.



But for my children, it was a wonderful excuse to get out the new snow boots, find their gloves and mittens, and play in the backyard for the first time in weeks.



5. Page 8 is nearing completion. I won't have time tonight, but I hope to be moving on to page 9 before Christmas. Here is a reminder of what the finished product looks like.



6. My parents arrived safely in Southern California yesterday to attend the wedding of a friend and then celebrate Christmas with assorted family and friends. I do wish we could join them but am relieved not to be flying this year.

7. And if you've yet to order a copy of my mother's new book, here is your regular reminder. :) I still have 4 copies of my mother's book available for purchase, if you are a local fan. 


Or, if you are a long-distance fan, you can find it here.

Bonus 8. I know I promised to post our Christmas letter days ago. Well, once again, life happened and we got a little behind. We should have it done over the weekend so keep your eyes on this space!

And here's Jen.

No comments: