Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve


1. Jen isn't posting today (hence the different picture at the top, which for those not in the know, shows my children with my father right after Thanksgiving) but certain family members (also pictured at the top) get a little snippy when I skip a week, so here's your 7 things. Also, I realized when I skipped the day after Thanksgiving, I had serious difficulties the following Friday trying to sum up two weeks in one post.

2. I think I miss my family. I've been down all week, drowning my sorrows in Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Season 4. (I picked Season 4 as it's the least angsty of them all. And Knight and Day reminded me how appealing Marc Blucas is.) And I was reminded again how much I love the show. But I still miss my family, who are celebrating together in San Diego.

That isn't to say that Marshall's family isn't wonderful, because they are. When some of my girlfriends complain about conflicts with their mothers-in-law, I simply say, "I have the best mother-in-law in the world." And I do. We will be joining them at Leah's house tonight to sing Happy Birthday to Jesus and share cake together and then tomorrow, Marshall's parents will come over to enjoy a roast beast with us.

It doesn't help, though, that my favorite Christmas music is still the 3 albums First Call made in 1985, 1987, and 1995. They are my father's favorites, too. So I've switched to the Webber family favorite, which is a little cheerier. At least it's been sunny every morning, so I can get started on the day well. It's just that when the sun starts setting at 3 pm, all my energy for the day goes with it and I huddle with my laptop and watch Buffy. At least I know, in Buffy-speak, why I'm all bad moody.

3. Speaking of huddling over laptops, we've been kinda a technology obsessed crew lately. Marshall's been out late a lot of nights (working or helping at church) so in the hours before the kids go to bed and after we've all had dinner, Alex, Miranda and I have all been sitting in front of a computer all by ourselves. Unplugging the TV for all these weeks was a good idea, really.

4. I already have a pile of thank you's to write and really want to get them out into the mail today, since tomorrow will double the amount that need doing. As always, our friends and family have been really generous. I just need to get started on acknowledging it.

5. If you missed the link earlier, here's our family 2010 Christmas letter.

6. And if you've yet to order a copy of my mother's new book, here is your regular reminder. :) I still have 4 copies of my mother's book available for purchase, if you are a local fan. 


Or, if you are a long-distance fan, you can find it here.

7.  All of my fudge is made and almost completely distributed, but I haven't wrapped any presents for the kids yet. I guess that's what we'll be doing tonight after they fall asleep. I hope I can find all of them. Because my children cannot leave any present left out in the open alone, they have been hidden all over my room and especially in the closet. And all of Mimi and Pop-Pop's gifts, delivered yesterday, are in the shed. I actually had to stop myself from buying them more gifts this year. They are so cute and happy when opening presents. This is the first year that Christmas has really been something both children have looked forward to. It almost feels normal.

Hopefully, next year we will be able to do it with the extended family in San Diego. Then we really will be passing for normal.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: