Friday, August 20, 2010

The Friday Before the Grandparents Go Home


1. After a long and wonderful visit (almost 3 weeks!), my parents depart tomorrow morning to drive home to Wisconsin. Sigh. Still, we have had a lot of fun. And the children will be back in school before I know it. Or that's what I keep telling myself.

2. Before their departure, we made sure to go into the city and see the Late Renoir exhibit at the Philadelphia Art Museum. I am not a huge Renoir fan and I still enjoyed the show greatly. If you are in the area, I highly recommend it.

3. We had our last Backyard Tour event for the Youth Group Wednesday night. I had to say good-bye to three of our senior girls; one has left already for college. This is the part of working in Youth Ministry that I really hate.

4. I haven't managed to get to the movies recently even though several new releases have received good reviews. It might be possible for me to sneak out some night this week, although Marshall has been using his evenings to work on the new shed. Maybe I'll just get a sitter for next weekend and we'll go see Scott Pilgrim vs. the World together.

5. My mother and I went out yesterday to get pedicures together, something we are starting to make a habit. I decided this time to pick a color that Miranda would like:


6. Here, finally, is a picture of the top level of my cross stitch, all finished:


4 pages down, only 16 more to go! I really need to get back to stitching. I've been reading too much. :)

7. My father had a lunch meeting with Andy Crouch recently, who graciously signed a copy of Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling for me. Since its publication two years ago, I have read numerous good reviews of the book but never managed get a hold of a copy and actually sit down and read it. Now that I have a signed copy, I will need to do so. Unless I'm too busy stitching!

And here's Jen.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Wow! That cross stitch is beautiful! I don't stitch, but I sure can appreciate the amount of work that must have taken.

Hope you recover from the let down of loved ones going home.