Friday, August 27, 2010

The Friday After the Grandparents Leave (Ugh!)


1. I know, I know. This should have been done yesterday. But it's the end of August and I am in my usual, annual funk. At least there's only a week left until school starts.

2. In fact, we all seem to be in a funk. Alex has gone back to rearranging the furniture in the backyard and is watching the same videos on YouTube again and again. Miranda is watching Peter Pan over and over again. We had a trip to the beach planned for Wednesday and neither child wanted to go. And Miranda got up at 5 am on Thursday and Friday (and subsequently napped during the day on both days) so both she and I are out of sorts as our schedules are off and our energy is down. I hate the end of August.

3. Earlier in the week I managed to get the children to bed happily and get back to my stitching. And the woman who cleans my house came on Wednesday, which helped tremendously, because it forced me to go through all my piles again and get everything put away.

4. Marshall is hard at work trying to finish the new shed this weekend. My father helped get it off to a good start, but it's slower going on his own, especially since both children want to "help."

5. I have been cleaning off the DVR, clearing through all my stored episodes of White Collar, Covert Affairs, and almost a whole season's worth of Leverage. That only leaves The Closer on the list of my unwatched summer shows. They are all fluffy enough to watch while I stitch, when I don't have to give it my full attention, or on my laptop while the children are playing in the other room and I can push pause when needed.

6. Thursday night I watched Letters from Iwo Jima, which I had picked up from the IFC earlier in the week. It was a good movie but I felt like I was missing too many details to follow the action perfectly. I think I was supposed to watch Flags of Our Fathers first, so I have requested that film from the library. I spent Friday morning reading through a lot of Wikipedia pages about the battle so I feel like I have a better idea of what happened.

I've spent a lot of the summer reading about war and am trying to start to synthesize my thoughts about it. Maybe one day, when I'm feeling a little more focused, I'll be able to write it down.

7. I would really like to get to the movies this weekend. Maybe if all goes well with the shed, I can sneak out one night to see Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

And here's Jen, from yesterday.

No comments: