Saturday, February 2, 2019

7 Things to Look Forward to in 2019


(I started this blog post 2 weeks ago and then we got the flu. We did all have flu shots so we didn't feel like death, but it's been a lengthy recovery for me. So, trying this again.)

1. I have pretty much given up on television beyond the live tennis and futbol (Liverpool FC) that I watch. We still watch Doctor Who, of course, and Star Trek Discovery was interesting, if only for the excellent casting. But I don't like sitcoms and I've lost my patience with network series. We also don't do any streaming beyond Amazon prime. But I love movies. I've been trying to see Aquaman for six weeks. We did manage to see Into the Spider-Verse on Boxing day (it's excellent and beautiful) and I still want to see Mary PoppinsBumblebee and Ralph Breaks the Internet. Maybe A Star is Born. Like my books, I need my movies to have happy endings. Life is hard enough before adding sad fiction on top of the regular depression.

******Saw Aquaman last Saturday with my mother. Very fun; very pretty.******

Upcoming films to look forward to?

  • What Men Want looks very interesting even though I despised What Women Want
  • Isn't It Romantic could work.
  • Captain Marvel
  • Shazam! looks very funny.
  • Hellboy might be fun.
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Pokemon Detective Pikachu could work. 
  • Aladdin. Maybe. I love the 1992 film.
  • Godzilla: King of Monsters
  • MIB: International could be fun.
  • Toy Story 4
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home
  • Lion King might be pretty.
  • Hobbs & Shaw absolutely.
  • Jumanji sequel; the first one was so funny.
  • Episode 9. Of course.
2. I read a lot of books. I love Goodreads because it helps me keep track of what I've already read and, more importantly, what I want to read next. However, my TBR pile hasn't fallen under 600 for more than a year and it's currently running at 682 while I'm (technically) reading 18 other books. I also am an equal opportunity reader: audio, digital and paper are all utilized, depending on where I am and how I'm feeling. I listen to lots of audio books in the evenings when regular headaches don't allow me to focus my eyes.

In 2018, my favorite new writers included

I also continued to read

Two male writers on the whole list; (well, Ilona Andrews is a husband and wife team, so 3). I guess I have favorites. But I am always interested in a male writer who can write women well.

Many of the writers I follow on Twitter encouraged those of who identify as WASP's to read books by authors who aren't. I've read at least a dozen excellent books and am trying to keep diversifying my author choices. I also managed to start reading romances with characters who are on the autism spectrum. Since I live with autism daily, I avoided it for years, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of writing by Talia Hibbert especially.

3. I have never read the Bible all the way through before and am still working on that project. I'm using The Message edition at present and am currently in the midst of the Psalms. Of course, alongside is Anne Kennedy'Nailed It devotional as my companion. I expected to be able to speed through the Psalms but am finding them more challenging than expected. Somehow I quail at the thought of calling down God's power on my enemies, but I have no difficulty complaining to God about my problems. I expect reading through the prophets during the current political climate will be very interesting.

4. I am continuing to learn how to adapt my life with my new limitations due to my chronic Epstein Barr. I do still have grumpy moments when I can't do anything but lie down on my bed, but audio books help. We have a wonderful library with access to books in paper, audio and ebook formats and I take advantage of it often. And our church helpfully posts Sunday morning messages on its website

5. In March, I will take the children to San Diego to attend a final memorial for my grandmother. We have not been to CA since 2015 and so I have a niece, a nephew and a second cousin I've never met. Bring on the babies! Well, toddlers. The youngest is currently 15 months old.

*******************Insert another 2 week break**************************

Really, I just need to finish this blog post.

6. I am looking forward to a time when every encounter with my twelve year old daughter isn't a fight or a negotiation to get her to do homework. We've had a couple of ugly weeks here. I know she's trying to find out who she is in the midst of her disabilities, but this is painful. Any prayers for her well being welcome.

7. I'm actually feeling better this week, which probably means my naturopathic MD has found the right dose of LDI for me. It feels weird not to be exhausted every single moment of the day. But I'm sure I will adjust. Of course, I'm taking my daughter to see him this week. That will be interesting.

And here's Kelly.

No comments: