Saturday, July 7, 2012

It's Too Darn Hot!


1. We are in like Day 11 of an Excessive Heat Wave and I think it's making us all bonkers. I woke up this morning, just after 6 am, to the sounds of Alex laughing maniacally in the living room, watching A Bug's Life. And it's all been downhill from there.

We did go to Surf City yesterday with both grandmothers, my sister-in-law and the cousins and had a fabulous time, but I think all that time in the sun gave us sun poisoning. Alex had the right idea: he spent nearly 4 hours in the waves, under water as much as possible. His eyes are still red today and he has sunburn all over his face, no matter how much sunscreen I put on him. Next trip, I'm going with zinc sticks, because this is just ridiculous.


2. Here is Miranda with cousin Lilly. They were having a great time and being a lot braver in the waves than in previous years. And yesterday's waves were not inconsequential. But the water was cool and clear and just gorgeous.


3. We've been alternating heavy activity days with quiet days: last Sunday we had the church picnic at the lake, Monday we rested, Tuesday we tried to go see Despicable Me at the Cinemark Theatre (and left halfway through because neither child could hold still or be quiet) and then Miranda had a swim lesson, Wednesday everyone but me went to swim and eat BBQ at a friend's (I was not feeling quite right and spent the day resting and stitching), Thursday we rested and Friday we went to the beach. Today is another mandated rest day because we have another swim party scheduled for tomorrow after church. And then Monday morning Alex goes back to school.


4. My mother and Alex spent most of their time body surfing and looking good while doing it. This was one of those moments when I caught them with the camera off-balance.


5. I still haven't managed to go see The Amazing Spider-Man because no one wants to go with me. Maybe I'll catch a matinee this week, while Alex is at school. And Magic Mike. Really not interested in Brave, though.


6. This Tuesday morning we will be attending the memorial of a dear friend who passed only a few days ago, Robert Jones. He was very dear and we miss him but trust that God knows best when to call his children home. Here is the information for the memorial, if you need it.


7. Most of what I did this week, when not supervising my children swimming in some body of water or other, was stitch and watch Perry Mason, so I have a good progress pic for y'all:


The dragon has a whole face now, but the farther I go, the more the back-stitching scares me. Even the beading seems easier than that. I may finish the whole project, minus the back-stitching, and go do something else until I get my nerve up. I wish the photo could show the density of the stitches; I'm just not sure how I'm going to get my needle through all of that mess all over again. And I use a sharp one already. If you need a reminder, here's the finished product from the designer and another shot done by a fellow stitcher whose blog I follow (sorry, you'll need to scroll down to Celestial Dragon and click on the photo to enlarge).

And now the laundry is calling me. Here's Jen

No comments: