Friday, June 8, 2012

All Bad Moody


1. For any Buffy fans out there, the title refers to a line from "Once More, With Feeling," the musical episode, one of the greatest ever. And, since it came to mind, I had to find the quote and listen to the soundtrack while I write this post.

Cut to Spike's crypt. Buffy enters. Spike emerges from his underground lair. 

SPIKE: The sun sets and she appears. (climbs up the rest of the way) Come to serenade me?
BUFFY: So you know what's going on.
SPIKE: Well, I've seen some damn funny things in the last two days. A 600 pound Chirago demon making like Yma Sumac, that one will stay with you. I remain immune, happy to say. (holds up a bottle of whiskey) Drink?
BUFFY: A world of no. (sits) So any idea what's causing this?
SPIKE: (disappointed) Oh. So that's all. You've just come to pump me for information.
BUFFY: What else would I wanna pump you for? (cringes) I really just said that, didn't I?
SPIKE: Yeah, well ... don't wanna bore you with the small talk. 

Spike walks to the door, opens it and turns toward Buffy. 

SPIKE: Don't know a thing.
BUFFY: (frowns) What's up? You're all bad moody.
SPIKE: Nothing. Glad you could stop by. 

He makes a gesture toward the door. Buffy stays seated, looks at him. 

SPIKE: (defensive) It's nothing.
BUFFY: What? 

And for the record, I like Buffy's Season 6.

What was I writing about again? Oh, yeah, all bad moody.

Well, my parents left this morning for Madison (my mother will return in 2 weeks, my father in 4), Marshall's parents are off in Lancaster for the weekend, both kids finish up school for the year next week, an event for which I am not in the least prepared. But, hey, my flowers are blooming:


2. In fact, my butterfly bushes, which I cut back significantly last fall, are just starting to bloom:


And they smell heavenly. I'm sure a rabble of butterflies (or swarm or lek; yes, Google is your friend) will be along soon.

When I bought them several years ago I thought they would stay small and dainty like the one I saw at my sister-in-law's house. Perhaps if I'd read the label more clearly, I wouldn't have planted them in front of a window.


Ah, well, we don't really use that window, anyway.

3. Saw a few movies in the last week: Men in Black III last Friday night with my mother and mother-in-law (we really enjoyed it and Josh Brolin is excellent, as advertised), Avengers again with my mother on Monday afternoon (still good, although it goes by faster the second time) and then Snow White & the Huntsman last night with my husband.

My feelings about that last film can best be described as mixed. Thankfully, Steven Greydanus of Decent Films Guide has a great review of it that explains everything. He also has a review of Wrath of the Titans that explains why I didn't like that film much either. And that would be why he gets paid to review films and I do not.

I planted Stella De Oro day lilies for the first time this year and they opened this week:


4. Got a bit more stitching done this week, while watching the first 2/3 of season 2 of Warehouse 13 and then, Wednesday night, catching up on Thundercats. Of the latter, I watched episodes 14-21, straight through. It's a lot less kid-friendly than I thought it would be but well-written. I still have the last 9 episodes of Clone Wars to watch; I stopped watching sometime over the winter because it's been rather dark lately, and not in a way I enjoy. Still, I'm sure I'll get caught up during the summer dolldrums. Oh, and here's the progress pic:


A lot of this week was spent finishing up the one-over-one work on the symbol for happiness. Here's a great close-up for you:


(The image is sideways. I have rotated it the right direction in 4 different applications and still, it's wrong. Maybe tonight my husband can fix it for me, because I GIVE UP!)

5. The Asiatic lilies that I have were from grab-bags of bulbs, so the fact they are still blooming is rather surprising. So are the occasional color variations.




And these are sideways, too. Yes, I know, I should really learn some basic HTML. I've been a little busy, you know, raising children with ASD. Or this was just one of those tasks I sub-contracted out to my husband. And he's busy you know, like, working. Dang.

BTW, the "Once More, With Feeling" soundtrack ran out 20 minutes ago. It takes me a little while to create these posts, especially when the pictures just won't cooperate.

6. Speaking (writing) of color variation, my hydrangea bushes are just weird.

These are pictures from the same bush:




And here's a picture from my smaller bush, which has never before bloomed, with separate flower clusters of both colors:



And that one is sideways, too. Dang.

The color variation has to do with the fertilizer components but I haven't analyzed what I've been using because the roses have their stuff, the Japanese maples got tree spikes this spring and all the flowering bulb plants get their own bulb food. Too weird.

7. I think I've been lazy this week because it's the calm before the storm. Next week is going to be bonkers because of all the end of the year parties and presents and such. I really need to get to work on those cards. Or go grocery shopping. Or not.

My hostas this year didn't get trimmed; consequently, they are trying to crowd out everything else. If you hadn't noticed already, I plant rather haphazardly and it comes back to bite me later.



Alex's marigolds look really nice, though:



And here's a few more calla pictures for you:




And here's Jen.

No comments: