Friday, January 27, 2012

Celestial Navigation


1. "Celestial Navigation" is the name of my favorite episode of The West Wing. It originally aired February 16, 2000, back when my life was kid-less and simpler, but a lot more boring.

I was reminded of it last night because of this: Go watch this video clip right now!

(I'm sorry; either I cannot figure out how to embed it, or it's blocked somehow. Have you finished watching the video yet? Do you know what's coming next?)

No, thankfully, I am not having an emergency root canal today, but Marshall is. And previous to this, the week had been so quiet and peaceful. So I'm having a minor freak-out this morning.

2. I called my mother-in-law earlier, she of CMA designation, so that she could reassure me that Marshall can indeed transport himself to and from his appointment and doesn't need one of us to go with him and hold his hand on the way home. You see, I have a lunch date with a dear friend and didn't want to miss it but was afraid to be selfish. Being a stay at home mom, I am accustomed to my plans being hijacked by the needs of others. Well, perhaps hijacked isn't a fair term. My job is to keep everyone moving forward, juggling household tasks and to be available for care when anyone is ill. In the last few months, though, it feels like there's been a lot of hijacking. But I'm sure that's all just in my head.

3. So my lunch date today is with a friend from church. We are in a Bible study together on Wednesday mornings and we decided to turn our lunch date into a homework date so we can get our workbook stuff done in time for Bible study next week. We figure if we sit there together at the tables in the Moorestown Mall food court, we'll have a nice chat and get good stuff done. The new study our group is starting is Always True: God's 5 Promises When Life is Hard by James MacDonald. We watched the opening video on Wednesday and it seems like it will be a good study.

4. Physical Therapy continues to go well. I enjoy the office staff and get a good work out twice a week. But I'm working so hard there, it essentially wipes me out of energy for the rest of the day. But I am healing, however slowly.

5. My mother flew off to her California vacation on Monday (she gets to meet her 2 week old grand-baby girl tomorrow!) so on Tuesday, my father and I went to the movies after Miranda left for school. I wanted him to see Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol before it leaves the theatres. Although it was my second time for the movie, I enjoyed it just as much as the first time. Go Brad Bird!

6. If you missed it on Wednesday, my movie update is here.

7. I can't remember what else I did this week. Lots of laundry. Wrote some postcards. Lots of time playing Words with Friends on Facebook while sitting with my leg up. Watched a little television. I'm not sure I'm going to stick with Alcatraz or The Finder. The former has an extreme body count and, true to a JJ Abrams-produced series, we are in the same position as the protagonist in not knowing who we can trust amongst all the other players. The latter has some morality issues (inconsistent consequences for bad actions) that I am uncomfortable with, although not, perhaps, when compared to The Fixer or Strike Back! Somehow, I have different standards for UK TV. Silly me.

And here's Jen.

1 comment:

Ellen Gable Hrkach said...

Hello Sarah...Nice to meet you! I'm originally from the New Jersey/Philadelphia area but moved to Canada when I married my Canadian husband (30 years ago). I especially miss NJ in the winter because the winter is long up here and we get a LOT of snow! BTW, I'm the author of four books...my first novel's setting is NJ/Philadelphia and my second novel's setting is historic Philadelphia (not sure if you like to read, but I'd be glad to send a free Kindle copy of any of my four books...) Just send me an email: ellengablehrkach (at) gmail.com. God bless you...