Tuesday, June 28, 2011

To Review



Last weekend, before my mother left for her retreat, I made an announcement to the general public (meaning, all the adults present, which only included my mother and my husband). I was going to see the new Transformers movie this weekend. It's exactly the kind of happy-action, brain-dead movie that cheers me up; I am like my father this way, although I have more tolerance for massive CGI-wonderfests than he does. So, it is encouraging me to see that it is receiving better than usual reviews, so far.

Because of all the excitement around here for the last few weeks, we are woefully behind in our movie-watching. Marshall and I are hoping to take a couple of days to spend away from the rest of the clan while we are in San Diego in August, and I would like to spend them at a hotel within walking distance of a movie theatre.

But, since I, apparently, have nothing better to do this afternoon, I thought I would update my move list for 2011:

January 14
Green Hornet (I actually tried to watch this, but it was so horrible, I turned it off. I made the horrific mistake of watching the original series in its entirety first, which is decent if a little campy. The movie seems to miss the point entirely. Ugh.)
April 1
Source Code (Marshall and I were able to go out and see this while my parents were here and we really liked it. Not as amazing Moon, but still very good.)
April 29
Fast Five (So much fun! Ridiculous fun, even. Rotten Tomatoes gave it an excellent rating
May 6
Thor (I enjoyed it, but mostly for the actors themselves, especially Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston, and, of course, Idris Elba. I did not like Natalie Portman as Jane.)
June 3
X-Men: First Class (I enjoyed this, mostly because of Michael Fassbender.)

June 10
Super 8 (We were supposed to see this to celebrate Marshall's birthday, but we both got sick)
June 17
Green Lantern (still want to see it despite the poor reviews)
June 24
Cars 2 (ditto)
July 1
Transformers: Dark of the Moon(I am going this weekend!)
July 15
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (the new trailer is out and looks awesome!)
July 20
Another Earth (this just looks interesting)
July 22
Captain America: The First Avenger (the trailer looks like a lot of fun)
July 29
Cowboys & Aliens (Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford in a western with aliens and all the early buzz is good!)
November 11
Immortals (second trailer out this week; still looks interesting)
December 16
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (directed by Brad Bird; end of story.)
December 16
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (the first one was fun, so perhaps this one will be, as well, though not as good as Sherlock.)
December 23
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (directed by Steven Spielberg and based on famous comics that I've never read; still, could be fun)

Okay, so what was supposed to be a 20 minute post turned into 2 hours because I don't really know how to edit html and my background color went funky so then I removed all the hyperlinks. I'll try to put them back in later. I should really go feed the children, like, now.

No comments: