Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday


1. We have not have a particularly devout Holy Week. But I have been giving thanks to God daily that my parents are here to help keep my kids from falling apart as they have no school this week. They took Tuesday off from grandparent duty to go into the city and meet friends at the Philadelphia Art Museum and about 20 minutes after they left, Alex and Miranda were screaming at each other. So I have no doubt of the calming influence they have on the household. And I am grateful.

2. Yesterday, my mother and I took the children to the Adventure Aquarium and we did our quickie tour (both my kids do these sorts of things at a dead run) and my mother got some great pictures, including the one above that makes it look like the hippo is kissing Alex. I was really impressed by how far they have come in terms of following directions and staying together. Progress! You can see more pictures here.

3. Sunday afternoon a dear friend from high school who I've not seen in about 15 years brought her husband and dog to celebrate Palm Sunday dinner together and catch up on each other's lives. Their dog, Truman, was such a hit with my kids that the first words out of Miranda's mouth Monday morning were, "Where's Truman?"

After dinner, Alex and Miranda were playing outside and invited Truman to play with them.


We have officially joined the Truman fan club.

4. Marshall, with my father's assistance, has been making great progress on the bookshelves project. So much so, that on Monday, my mother and I decided to unload two of the large bookshelves that had been blocking the television into the corner so that we could plug it in again, along with the Wii that we retrieved from Marshall's sister's house (we share the unit between the two families). So the children have been enjoying hours with Nintendo (Alex is still a killer bowler) while my parents and I have been doing a mini-Lewis festival in the evenings.

In fact, in about an hour, the last of the 3 large book cases will be leaving the building, off to Marshall's parents' home, where they will be also well loved. Which means that the crowded front room I've been living in since October will be so strangely spacious. And I need to start thinking about how I'm going to be sorting all of our books. In previous months, I had threatened to organize them according to the Dewey Decimal system. We'll have to see. And, maybe, I can even get rid of a few.

5. Along with watching Lewis with my folks in the evenings, I have been doing a little bit of stitching. The page I'm working on is incredible difficult, so it's slow going. But here's a progress picture, anyway:


6. Marshall and I are going out tonight for dinner and a movie, finally taking an opportunity to go see Source Code. Let the summer movie extravaganza begin!

Early reviews for Thor are good. And Doctor Who Series 6 starts tomorrow! Woohoo!

7. My mother's book, Bathsheba's Lament, continues to earn praises and recognition from among a growing number of readers. There is a great review of it on the International Christian Fiction Writers' blog that you must read! There is another awesome review of Bathsheba's Lament on LeAnne Hardy's blog. Read it here. Remember, if you haven't already ordered a copy, you will find it available here, or, if you are a local fan, inform me that you are claiming one of my few remaining copies.


Jen has no new post today, taking the time off to be with her family. 

No comments: