Friday, March 25, 2011

Third Friday of Lent


 1. This week they really are going to be quick takes because I am leaving this afternoon to go on the retreat with the High School students from church to Ocean City, MD, for Impact, 2011 and I didn't sleep well and am not ready so don't have the time to write everything I wanted to. I tried to sit down and write this post yesterday but my brain never really came on. Next week, I hope to finish what I wanted to write.

2. Last night I went to see the performance of CATS at Eastern High School in Voorhess, where many of our students attend, because several of our students were in the performance. I've always liked the musical and so enjoyed the show, for the most part. The dancing was great, but woe to that flute player who was playing out of tune!

3. Simcha Fisher, whose blog I've been following more regularly of late, posted something pretty profound yesterday:

"...we sometimes try to drag God down into our limited view of life:  Black-and-white, Lord.  Just tell me what to do.  But just because WE see only two choices before us, let’s not forget that God is all-seeing, all-knowing.  His Will is not a checklist of do’s and don’ts, but a living, fluid, powerful force that somehow, inconceivably finds its way into our puny seedling lives, nourishing us like the rain and making us grow and bear fruit."

You can find the whole post here. I know she's a Catholic talking about family planning, but I think these specific comments can apply to all Christians.

4. I did make some good cross stitch progress this week, mostly because the design is fairly simple on this page. It makes it a little boring, but fast to work through.


Although, as soon as I finish this page, I'll be back working on the stems in 28 different greens. At least it's not boring!

5. If you think of me this weekend, pray for my time with the students and pray for my husband at home with the children. He's not completely on his own; I've arranged for a sitter for tomorrow night so he can go out and celebrate a friend's birthday. It should all work out fine. I just have anxiety about all going well since I am a control freak and hate for things to spin out of control (which, I think, is why God gave me exploding children) or for those I care about to be hurt. I keep thinking that if I just plan hard and long enough, everything will work out the way I want it to. Silly Sarah. 

6. Do please pray for the retreat with our church's High School students. I love working with them; they are a joy to be with and bless me regularly. I want to be able to be present with them and not worrying about what I left undone at home or what I haven't anticipated for on the trip.

7. My mother's book, Bathsheba's Lament, continues to earn praises and recognition from among a growing number of readers. There is a great review of it on the International Christian Fiction Writers' blog that you must read! There is another awesome review of Bathsheba's Lament on LeAnne Hardy's blog. Read it here. Remember, if you haven't already ordered a copy, you will find it available here, or, if you are a local fan, inform me that you are claiming one of my few remaining copies.

And here's Jen

2 comments:

Lindse94 said...

Have a great time in Maryland, our neighbor/friend Andrew G is going as well. I love your thoughts about God and your exploding children! I am the same way about handing over control.

Kathleen@so much to say said...

I've always wanted to write a book about David and Bathsheba, exploring the whole connection about Uriah. I mean, Uriah must have been a really good man, and what must she have gone through trying to let go of him and serve the king she was bound to serve?

I'm adding this to my list! :)