Thursday, August 13, 2009

And now for something completely different (revisted)

In March, I wrote up the movies we were planning to see in the spring and summer. I thought now would be a good time to revisit the list with short reviews and add a few:

March 6
Watchmen
I found this movie fascinating even though I haven't read the graphic novel; afterwards, I realized it was the first "R" rated movie I've actually seen in the theatre.

May 1
Wolverine
Passed on it because of poor reviews.

May 8
Star Trek
Saw it twice in the first week and still want to see it again!

May 22
Terminator: Salvation
Passed on it because of poor reviews.

May 29
Up
LOVED IT!

June 24
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Did see it. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Had a few moments I liked. Of course, Roger Ebert's rant against it has been pretty amusing to follow.

July 17
Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince
Really liked it, although for the first time, I didn't reread the book before the movie. The actors were really wonderful but my biggest disappointment was no good kiss between Harry and Ginny.

August 9
G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra
Still looking for a sitter so we can go see it.

Dec 18
Avatar
This is all that's available.

Additions:
Moon
We saw it the Fourth of July and loved it! Second "R" rated movie for me in theatres.

Hurt Locker
Opened mid-July. Dying to see it. I'm a new fan of Jeremy Renner.

District 9
Opens tomorrow. Marshall really wants to see it and I'm interested.

And our favorite sitter leaves for Disney early Saturday morning. Dang.

2 comments:

Omar said...

Saw Wolverine and Terminator at the cheap theatres late in the summer. Both OK, neither outstanding although Terminator is better than Wolverine. Didn't see Transformers due to weak reviews. Why did you choose to see that one over the other two poorly reviewed flicks?

Sarah Boyle Webber said...

We saw Transformers both because we had free childcare (Grandma was visiting that week) and we were taking two teen friends with us as a treat for them and to say thanks for all they do for our kids. It was the movie they really wanted to see. I never managed to see The Hurt Locker before it left town and that left me greatly disappointed. Unfortunately, there are no cheap or second run theatres here.